Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Romeo & Juliet & cabbages and kings


The swans got to experience a real treat this past weekend - we got to go to the ballet! Romeo and Juliet was here for the weekend so of course the swans jumped on that! We had great seats - front row, balcony (see photo). And I personally was blown away! It's not often that we get to witness professional ballet in Hawaii and it was exquisite. My personal fave was the balcony scene pas de deux. Legen......wait for it........dary!! I'm not versed enough in ballet lexicon yet, but all I can remember thinking is, "Oh - so THAT's what a chainé turn is supposed to look like!" Also, I cannot WAIT to start pointe!!! It's so ethereal the way the ballerinas float around on their toes. I really do love watching it. I was also surprised (pleasantly so) to see so many male pas (pases? pasessss? lol). Really great stuff.

Speaking of professional ballerinas, we had 2 in our "adult beginner" class on Saturday. I put that in quotes because on Saturday it was definitely more of a mixed class. What is that you say? You don't have an adult beginner / professional class at your studio? Well, I guess we're just forward thinkers here at the Jody Sawyer School of Dance. Seriously though, there were two of them. En pointe. Prancing around putting shame in our game(s). I mean, it was like they were hired just to take my self esteem to new depths. Tour jetés are embarrassing enough when you aren't followed immediately by a prima ballerina doing them perfectly and effortlessly. I know I said I like watching ballerinas prance around en pointe......just not when I'm trying to be a star in my own class. At least they were just visiting. That's right ladies - the swans are the stars of THIS studio! Triple snap!

~White Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment